Home About Us Biographies Contacts Flashpoint History Incidents Latest Links Membership Memories Museum Obituaries Reunions Vehicles

Future messages will be posted below, to view  messages from 2016 and earlier click here

7 Oct 21

From: Trevor Hayes

Urgent reminder to all members.

The Annual General Meeting and reunion is being held over the weekend of 19th to 21st November at the Citrus Hotel in Coventry.

Details and booking forms were posted out in the latest edition of Flashpoint.

The Association needs as many of you there as possible as we need to vote in a new Chairman and Vice Chairman. Applications for these posts have already been received so you won’t be pressed to apply!!

The final date for booking is 17th October, so if you intend to go, please book now.

You will be made very welcome and it’s  a great opportunity to catch up with old friends and make new ones.

If you need further details or a booking form, please ring Trevor Hayes, Treasurer on 01923 331975

Trevor Hayes Treasurer.


16 March 2021

From: Trevor Hayes Treasurer

New Flashpoint Editor

Steve Harrison is to partially step down as editor of Flashpoint after the next issue and in the driving seat will be Reg Metcalfe as collator of all stories, articles and photos.

Steve will then arrange and proof read before forwarding on to the printers for art work to be completed and then the magazine to be printed.

Flashpoint is the Association's main point of contact for news and interest. Flashpoint is ours / yours and is only as good as the stories, articles and photos our members continually supply, or take the time to write.

Like many members, I have written a number of factual stories and sent many photos over the last 20 years. I believe each member has at least one story, long or short, including pictures, for each year of service.

While it takes the editor hours / days of his time to organise and collate each issue, it may only take you an hour or two to put an article together.

Please support the new editor.

Details for Editor.:

Reg Metcalfe,
8 Pategill Court,
CA11  8LN ,
Mobile no:   07368 890 687,  
email: advisorp@btinternet.com

Trevor Hayes Treasurer.



9 February 2021

From: Trevor Hayes Treasurer

2020 October AGM Postponement to November 2021

After a number of attempts to try to re-arrange the delayed 2020 AGM  for early 2021, due to the Covid pandemic, the Committee believe that it is in the members' best interest to totally cancel the 2020 AGM. The Committee strongly believe that  the health of our membership must comes first.

The 2021 AGM is to be delayed for one month from October until the 19th to 21st of November 2021 to give maximum time for the Covid vaccine to have best effect for the membership.

Final details will be sent to all members at a later date.

Trevor Hayes Treasurer.



5 November 2020

From: Jan Slade, widow of  Neil Slade

Tribute Page for ex-Chairman Neil Slade

A tribute Page has been set up in memory of Neil for contributions to Guide Dogs - a charity that Neil was passionate about in his retirement.  To make a donation in Neil's memory please follow the instructions below:

In your browser Go to https://www.guidedogs.org.uk/donate-now

  • Click on "In memory" then "Next"

  • In the "Memory of" drop-down menu select "Tribute Fund"

  • The Tribute Fund number is 36532355

  • Name is Neil Slade

  • For the question, "What Prompted you?" Choose "Guide Dogs Tribute Fund" from the drop-down menu.

Please give generously



13 May 2020

From: Trevor Hayes Treasurer

2020 October AGM Postponement to April 2021

Due to the Coronavirus, this year’s AGM, booked for October 2020, is being postponed for 6 months until April 2021.  

We are hoping by that time that there will be greater movement of people and meetings will be safer.

The new arrangements will be forwarded to you in the next edition of Flashpoint.  

We are hoping to have a good response from members to this AGM as we need to elect a new Chairman and Vice Chairman.  

Applications for these two posts, which need to be seconded, will need to be with the Association Secretary,  Mike Clapton, 28 days before the April AGM, the date of which will be announced in the next Flashpoint.

Mike’s address can be found on the second page of any Flashpoint or on the Web site.

In the meantime, I hope all members and your families stay well, and stay safe.


Trevor Hayes Treasurer           


25 April 2020

From: Steve Harrison - Flashpoint Editor


I must apologise to David McBain for not publishing his letter in the Spring Issue 2020 which was sent in response to my editorial in the 2019 Winter Issue.

Hi Steve,

I read with some dismay your editors article in the latest Flashpoint. The two things that concerned me, and should concern our membership and the RAF community as a whole, are the future of the magazine and of the Fire Museum itself.

I know that social media has its part to play in today’s society and probably the majority of our members use it on a daily basis, but I think it would be sad to see the demise of Flashpoint because of this. I do not use things like Facebook personally, preferring to use the less intrusive forms of social media, emails and the like.

I am one who looks forward to the magazine when it comes, and I always scour the old photos to see if I recognise or remember any of the old faces. It’s good to note that other people have kept photos and with them kept their memories alive.

I suppose that is part of the reason for the lack of material from members is that they don’t think that they have anything to say. Well I was only in the service for five years in total, but in that time I was given a wealth of experience and learning which stood me in good stead after I had left and I have used that recently in articles that I have sent to the magazine. Not only were these about my RAF life but I also sent in an article which was published in the autumn 2018 edition concerning “A visit to the Battlefields”

I am only one member in an organisation of 400 plus paid up members and yet I have managed to recount some experiences and sent some photos that hopefully others will have found of some interest to read within the pages of our magazine. That means that there are another 400 plus members out there who have something to tell us about their life experiences in the service and of other things that might be related and of interest. Hopefully they will realise and send them in.

My friend George Turnbull and I can be seen on the front cover of your autumn edition of Flashpoint as part of that “Duty Crew” when we visited the Fire Museum. The purpose of my visit was not only to see the Museum first hand but to gift most of my helmets and memorabilia that I had collected from my career in the RAF, and also after at Luton Airport, Bedfordshire Fire Service and London Fire Brigade where I retired from in 2002. You also produced my RAF Sharjah Radio magazine on the back cover.

When visiting the museum I released just how important it is as part of what we are. Steve Shirley and his guys and girls have done a marvellous job in putting together something which is an historical asset to our service and organisation and I just can’t believe that they continue to struggle to find a permanent home for it. There is so much that can’t be seen when visiting the museum because of its semi permanent nature of its position, and yet there is also so much to see that George and I spent the whole day there.

As an organisation I know that we have supported the work of Steve and his volunteers over many years, but it seems to me that more must be done to impress upon the wider Air Force community just how great a treasure this collection is. It should also be seen as a fantastic educational facility.

 I hope that my email to you will go some way towards galvanising our members into supporting both of the good things that we have in Flashpoint and the Museum. Hopefully a greater spread of members, young and old will realise that they do have something of interest to put in and that it can be better expressed in our magazine than by other media.

The museum needs to continue to be supported whilst we press others to give us a permanent home for it. Scunthorpe is a bit out of the way for some of us, but I live in Luton and George lives near Newcastle and we gave it a go. We met overnight in Lincoln, did the BBMF at Coningsby first and then Scunthorpe the following day. Above all the volunteers should know just how much their efforts are appreciated by our organisation. I would say to the members that “you won’t be disappointed if you give it a try”

Many thanks to you for keeping the editorship going


Dave Mc Bain


9 April 2020

From: The Officers of the Association


Due to health issues the Chairman, Neil Slade, and Vice Chairman, Howard Harper, are standing down from their positions on the committee.

The Association is in need of a new CHAIRMAN and VICE CHAIRMAN.


New faces, new personalities, new ideas, to embrace changes that will see our Association grow and move forward into the future.

We have many younger members that could fill these positions, and many, I am sure, well capable for consideration, with a strong vision for our Association's future direction.

If you can see yourself in either of these positions, NOW is your time to act and come forward.

Applicants must be full members and be elected to office at the Annual General Meeting which will be held on 17th October 2020 at the Citrus Hotel, Coventry.

Each candidate should be proposed and seconded, in writing, to be with the Secretary within 28days of the AGM.

Please send proposals to Association Secretary, Mike Clapton, 4 Fairfax Road  Cirencester   Gloucester  GL7  1NF,  also whose details are on page 2 of this issue of Flashpoint.

Thank you.


22 Jan 2020

From: Trevor Mayes

Hi I am hoping to trace a Cpl Bob Jones served at St Mawgan, Cornwall. Lost track and would like to contact him again , his wife then was or is Cheryl, if any one knows where about please let me know.

TREVOR MAYES [barnardroad96@outlook.com]


29 Nov 19

From: Clive Winnett

Hi there,

Is there anyone out there who served at RAF El Firdan.?

Clive Winnett [clivewinnett07@gmail.com]


2 Oct 19

From: Arthur Lynch

Trying to find Johnny Lightfoot

I was then Cpl (spike) Lynch and John was an SAC on my crew at RAF Odiham circa 1959 to 61, our WO  was Wally Hammond. Johnny came from Spring Bank West Hull.  I was posted to Seletar and lost all contact and have been trying to find John for a long time.

Can any one help?

Spike Lynch  [arthurhlynch@hotmail.com]


13 Aug 19

From: Robin Howard

I used to drive the Mk6 in the RAF at Kinloss, Scotland in the 1960s during the cold war upgrading from the Mk5 and Mk5A. Great vehicle with the introduction of the fluid flywheel and five gears (forward or reverse). Backed up with a Dual Purpose (DP) filled with water it could produce a massive amount of foam. I used to drive it cross-country at the end of the runway taking it very slow on the high ground ridges.

At 80 years old I recently found one at the RAF museum at Collinwood. At Catterick, I had my RAF Mk6 test for driving on an airfield. Most of the short test was In the Garstang (North-East) driving on the then A1 dual carriageway.  I was an SAC and once drove from Kinloss with a sergeant in a Mk5a down to the servicing depot in the South-West (A 500-mile journey). A great drive but servo-brakes did heat up causing problems. The hills were terrible and so were the brakes on an exercise from Kinloss to Wick with full water containment. Coming down some of the hills, I could not bring the vehicle to a halt even in low gear at 10 miles an hour. The driver of the DP (Dual purpose) used for domestic fires and feeding the Mk6 and Mk5A was lucky. He had the first of the air brakes.

Kind regards


Robin G Howard

Robin Howard [robinhoward815@gmail.com]


9 Aug 19

From: Steve Harrison


If anyone sent Reg an article for Flashpoint could could you resend it to me please.

I am still hoping that someone can send me articles. I have not yet set a deadline for sending to the printers but I think it will be in September and will announce a date later.

email me at silverfoxy2k@hotmail.com or steve.harrison@firemuseum.uk

Stephen Harrison [silverfoxy2k@hotmail.com]


5 Jul 19

From: Paddy  Lenaghan  RAF Flt Lt (Retired)

Ken Leverett's Funeral

The funeral is over.

A Magnificent event.  Extended families of Ken and Pauline, and local neighbours and friends, long distant service comrades, RAF members in uniform with a Fire Service guard of honour and a RAF flag on the altar were all present. Over 100.

If your publicity had anything to do with it, well done. I am sure Sir Roger, your patron, would be proud of the response to Ken's death.

Although not a "fireman", can I book the same response for me?

Once again, well done the RAF Fire and Rescue Service.

paddy lenaghan  paddylenaghan@yahoo.com


16 Jun 19

From: Neil Slade

For attention of all members attending the AGM/Reunion:

As I now have a new car, I am unable to bring any of the shop stock with me to the AGM.

I will also be needing a volunteer to carry on with the shop.  



NEIL SLADE [crashmarksix@sky.com]


29 May 19

Jean Brennand

My name is Jean Brennand, and I'm trying to contact an ex RAF fireman who we met at Laarbruch 1975-1978.  The name is James Anthony Currie, his wife’s name is Jeanette Haig Currie, and they had two children Trudy and Tony.  Jim and Jinty are my daughter’s god parents and she is 40 this year so we would like to get in contact with them again if possible.

Jim left the RAF and we lost contact with them after they left The Cross Keys Pub at Royal Wootton Bassett, we understood they went abroad not sure where.

On your website among the obituaries for September 2009 is a small mention for Mr Jim Curry we wondered if this could be him.

Any help would be gratefully appreciated.

Many thanks


Jean jean.brennand@gmail.com


21 May 19

From: Trevor Hayes

Trying to contact the following members ...........


I have been trying to contact the following members. I have no telephone numbers for them and have written to them a number of times with no response. They may have moved and forgotten to notify me of their change of address

If any  member knows any contact details for them, could they please forward to me so I can make contact.


Michael Young member  500.

Michael Lee                    833

Leonard Beynon              964

Bruce David Bagley       1094

Fred G Horner                1111

Graeme William Smith  1117


Many thanks


Trevor Hayes

01923 331975



2 Gypsy Lane
Hunton Bridge
Kings Langley


Association Treasurer


7 Mar 19

From: Pauline McCann

Mem No 7 & Ex-President WO Dennis McCann BEM

Pauline and family would like to thank everyone who attended Dennis's funeral on 22nd March. Special thank you to the 4 Standard Bearers; Neil Slade and Mike Clapton for the Association, Arthur Lowe: British Legion, Sgt Mike Drury and Cadet FS Davies for RAFA - also thank you to all the members of the RAF and DFSA who gave Dennis the Salute-that was very moving. Also, thank you for the floral tributes and donations in Dennis's memory for the RAF Benevolent Fund-to date we have raised in excess of £250.

Finally, thank you also for all your expressions of sympathy

We wish the Association, Flashpoint and The Museum all the best for the future and keep up the good work it means such a lot to so many people.

Love to you all  Pauline McCann & family


26 Feb 19

From: Steve Harrison


The Museum of RAF Fire Fighting has now moved to a new storage facility in Scunthorpe supplied by North Lincolnshire Council with a one year lease which enables to us store the collection until a new “Home” can be found.

Although we cannot open to the public as a museum, but the council has allowed us some five public open days throughout the coming year in order to allow us to raise money and demonstrate our commitment to obtaining another premises to open as a museum. On display will be the vehicle collection as the other artefacts are boxed. When the dates are set they will be made known through the Museum and Association websites and through the various Facebook pages. Although a private visit can be accommodated by ringing the Museum 01522 730198 or email: enquiry@firemuseum.co.uk.

Stephen Harrison [silverfoxy2k@hotmail.com]


26 Nov 18

From: Steve Harrison


Although the Museum of RAF Firefighting is closed to the public don’t think we are inactive. Behind the scenes we are still very hard at work at trying to preserve the collection of our vehicles but also we are still trying to collect as many written/oral and visual histories as we can. Both modern and old. I know that a lot of you out there have a lot of history in your lofts and man caves. Please consider what you wish to contribute, if it stays in the loft precious history about our trade will be lost.

My contact details are on the website and in the Flashpoint in the contact details page under Co-ordinators



Stephen Harrison [silverfoxy2k@hotmail.com]


8 Nov 18

From: Gwen Mather


My great uncle served at Lossiemouth HMS Fulmar, he was Able Seaman Raymond Dutton C/JX 549398. I am trying to trace any photos anyone may have of him as he died at Lossiemouth on 20th November 1946.

He was only 21 years old.  If you have anyone in your contacts who may be-able to supply any photos I would be extremely grateful.  

Kind regards

Gwen Mather



5 Nov 18

From: Paul Townsend

I went to Sutton-on-Hull in 1957 and our welcome was from WO Newbold, my instructor was Mick Madden. I was sent to Weeton to learn to drive, Brian London heavyweight boxer was there,then  off to Cyprus how lucky is that? I had a wonderful life demob 1987

Paul Townsend



31 Oct 18

From: Bob Gibson

Hi  all, I'm ex RAF Fireman having served from 1975 to 85. Started at Conningsby when the OCU was converting crews from Lightning to Phantoms. I moved about a bit after that having tours in Malta ( I was there when they shut the place) Scampton, Where 617 were still flying Vulcans, and ended up at Brize. If anyone remembers me it would be good to get back in touch.

Bob Gibson



2 Mar 2018

From: Brian Jones

I am in the process of updating the membership database and am finding that  a lot of members  details are out of date and many have no email or telephone numbers listed at all.  In order to rectify this problem and help us get information out to the correct places could all member who think they may be in this category contact me with up to date details.  My contact details are:

Brian Jones (Mem No 791)





SA18 3PD.

Telephone: 01269 594065

Email: 813jones@talktalk.net

Thanks in advance

Brian Jones
Membership Secretary


16 Feb 2018

From: Trevor Hayes

Dear Member,


 I would like to thank those of you who have recently made donations and/or increased your monthly standing order payment for the Memorial appeal.


The light is well and truly at the end of the tunnel now, and it is FS Steve Pickston’s and my ambition to have a Memorial in place by late Autumn/Winter this year subject to a boost in funding. This will be very fitting as we celebrate the 75th anniversary of the RAF Fire Service this year.


There will be an unveiling ceremony to which all serving and Association and DFS members will be invited.


Kind regards




Where  we are and where we are going with the Memorial Fund.


The RAF Fire and Rescue Service Memorial will be a representation of all firemen, past, present and future who have served with and in the RAF Fire and Rescue Service .


The fund currently stands at:-                    £17,579.76


This is largely thanks to the generosity of the 21 people who donate each month by small monthly Standing Orders, (most of these people have already donated over £200 each),

Sponsored events by RAF Fire Service serving members, and Sgt Sutherland for his coins which have raised over £1,500.

Raffles, donations and auctions by the RAF&DFSA.

Donations made in memory of late Association members, Ken Bowden, Bernard Waters and Steven Doran totalling £670. There have also been some notable single donations from members of between £60 and £250.  


By September 2018 this year the fund will be at least £18,233.   


FS Steve Pickston and I have agreed with Peter Orgill, Head of Operations at the National Memorial Arboretum, the position for our memorial,  which is directly in front of the large RAFA Eagle; a prime position and a worthy place very fitting for the RAF Fire and Rescue Service.  It is between 2 Squadron and 214 Squadron memorials and next but two to the Police memorial.  


FS Steve Pickston has worked incredibly hard to produce a very impressive design for our memorial which I am confident will meet with everyone’s approval. The design includes the RAF Fire Service Crest, and we are working with an artist and stonemason with a view to embedding some images of vehicles and personnel in uniforms past and present, all in granite.


Steve and I are confident with the growth of the fund from the RAF Fire Service and the Association in 2018, and we have received quotations for the construction of the base, plinth and a memorial.


If funding continues from all sources, as it has over the last three years, and with a final push, we believe an impressive Memorial should be possible within the next 7 months, which will please many of our older members, before they attend the big crash site in the sky.


The question is, will we have sufficient funds by that time?   It is all about the generosity  of funding from all those currently serving and retired members of the RAF Fire Service, and anyone else.


If you are inspired by the idea of the early completion of our memorial and have never donated or have donated but would like to give more, NOW IS THE TIME. Please do it now before you forget, then perhaps we can achieve a great memorial worthy of its position  and representation of all members of  The RAF Fire and Rescue Service, past, present and future, and will stand proud alongside some of the great memorials at the Arboretum.


Please consider making a donation.  We need a final push now to achieve our goal for our memorial to be in place this autumn. Consider any form of fundraising, either personal donation or Sponsorship, coffee morning, raffle, quiz night etc etc. Anything that will raise funds.


For those members of the RAF or the RAF&DFS Association or anyone else  who would like to donate to achieve our great memorial, the three ways are:-


1. By cheque, made payable to the RAF Fire & Rescue Service Memorial Fund,  and sent to me by post for banking or:-


2. Direct by bank transfer.  The details are :-

    Royal Bank of Scotland

    Name of account:- RAF Fire & Rescue Service Memorial Fund.

    Sort code 16-19-26  A/c number 10726263


3. By making small monthly donations by Standing order. ( Please call me for details and a form)


Thank you for reading this  message.


Best regards to all.


Trevor Hayes

Treasurer of the fund


2 Gypsy Lane

Hunton Bridge

Kings Langley


WD4  8PR


Tel 01923 331975


11 Dec 17

From: Trevor Hayes

Sale of RAF Fire Service Coin. (Perfect Christmas present)


This superb coin was designed  by Sgt Jamie Sutherland of RAF Lossiemouth to raise funds for the RAF Fire Service  Memorial Fund.

Images of the coins can be seen here  

Sales of the coin to RAF personnel has already raised over £1,500 for the Memorial fund, and there and only 30 coins left at a cost of only £10 each, plus £1 postage.

If you are interested in acquiring one or more of the coins please contact me.


Trevor Hayes

01923 331975



2 Gypsy Lane
Hunton Bridge
Kings Langley


Association Treasurer


28 Nov 17

From:  Paul  Murray


I am the organiser for the Cenotaph parade and need the names of the members that have led that march with the Batten in previous years. If anyone can help please send me names and dates led.

I can be contacted via email at pmurr7753@gmail.com

Thanks in advance

Paul Murray

Cenotaph Parade Coordinator


1 Nov 17

From: Trevor Hayes

Donation From the Association to The RAF Museum of Fire Fighting


The RAF Fire Service Museum at RAF Scampton became a Charity earlier this year and is now called “The Museum of RAF Fire Fighting”.  This charity is organised and run by five Trustees.  

WO Steve Shirley’s vehicles and his other RAF fire fighting  equipment and  memorabilia is on  permanent loan to the charity.

 Due to the RAF’s demand for their hanger to be returned, The Museum of RAF Fighting’s estimated 20,000 items had to be moved and are currently in secure storage. The trustees hope to move to a permanent building in Gainsborough, 15 miles north, in the near future.    

Two months prior to our AGM in Bristol in October, a request was made from the museum to the committee for funds to assist the transportation of the Museum of RAF Fire Fighting’s equipment and memorabilia to its new home. The request was for a gift of £5,000. A meeting with the trustees was requested by the committee.

Prior to that meeting I forwarded a list of thirteen searching questions and a request for a copy of the museum’s last annual accounts to establish the charity’s financial situation. I also suggested to other members of our committee that an interest-free loan for £5,000 over 5 years and reviewed  in 5 years could be offered.  This  was financially  viable from the Association as the end of year accounts at 31st August 2017 would show cash assets exceeding £26,000.  

Our chairman, Neil Slade, and myself had a meeting on 17th August with two of t Museum’s Trustees, Steve Harrison and Steve Shirley, at RAF Waddington.

At that meeting, a copy of the accounts were provided and all questions answered adequately in writing.  The accounts clearly showed that the museum would be unable to cover the cost of this forced move from RAF Scampton, and their funds were reducing by £96 per month, which was the cost of storage .

At our committee meeting on 5th September, it was agreed to put the suggestion of the 5 year loan before the members of the Association at the AGM.

During the meeting at the AGM, Steve Harrision comprehensively explained the changes and challenges to the Museum and its charity status. I explained that a loan was well within the Association’s capability and financial support for the Museum’s purpose was written into our  constitution.

It was then suggested from some Association members that what seemed to be a continuous loan should be changed to a donation without ties from the Association to the Museum.  This idea was seconded and the vote passed unanimously.  

Please see the photograph of below a cheque for the £5,000 being presented by our Patron, Air Marshal Sir Roger Austin, to Steve Harrison.   


Trevor Hayes



18 Sep 17

From: Trevor Hayes

Reminder for the Association's AGM:

A reminder to all members that the Association’s AGM is on the weekend of 13th to 15th of October 2017 at the Aztec Hotel Bristol. For full details see the Re-unions Page.

Trevor Hayes



18 Sep 17

From: Trevor Hayes



To all members who still pay their sub’s by cheque and have not yet done so for 2017, I remind you that these are due on 1st September each year and are now overdue for this year.


To help me with the Association accounts, and my time, would you please forward your cheque to me as soon as possible to:-


Trevor Hayes
2 Gypsy Lane
Hunton Bridge
Kings Langley
WD4  8PR  

Tel 01923 331975

Trevor Hayes



9 Aug 17

From: Trevor Hayes



As the Association is presently without an Editor for Flashpoint, and to try to overcome this present difficulty, as it is felt we must continue to have Flashpoint, the committee, along with a little help and advice from our retired Editor, Steve Harrison, are trying to put together sufficient stories and photos both new and old to enable an issue of Flashpoint with 24 pages  to be printed in time for the AGM on the 13th October at the Aztec Hotel in Bristol, or as soon as possible thereafter.  

For Flashpoint to continue, it has always relied on articles, both long and short, along with photos from the membership. This is still the situation today and will always be the case.

Would any member, or non member, who has any interesting stories and/or photos, please forward them by e mail to me, and hopefully we will see Flashpoint continue.   

Out of our membership of 450, there must be a wealth of stories, ditties, anecdotes and photographs and at least one person who would make an outstanding Editor. Is that person you?

If you are interested in becoming the Editor, please let any member of the committee know.


Trevor Hayes



6 Aug 17

From: Gustavo Norberto Pasero

Dear Sirs :

My name is Gustavo Norberto Pasero and retired Volunteer Firefighter.

I´m writing to you to ask for some things as following ones:

• A Patch or from your Fire Association

• Information about your activities, organization and ranks.

• Photographs from your Fire Station, engines and uniforms.

Books, posters, etc.

I wait for your answer as soon as possible.

Yours fathfully




31 May 17

From: Gary Bishop

Although my time in the RAF Fire Service was a brief one (mid 80's Kinloss) I still enjoy coming on here, and recognizing names and faces from then. Also reading stories from them about their time up there on the Moray Firth. Hello to all on here who remember me, hope all's going well.....




8 May 17

From: Steve Shirley

Looking for any information regarding ex RAF Firefighter WO George Rodulson 1937-1975.  George's Grandson is a serving WO and is trying to find any info on his Grandfather.

If anyone has any info, please contact me on steven.shirley@mod.uk or steve.shirley@firemuseum.co.uk

Many thanks and kindest regards




8 May 17

From: Ron Brown

Any member wishing to attend the Annual Remembrance Parade at the Cenotaph please contact Paul Murray email:-







28 Apr 17

From: Alan Dawes

(Originally an email addressed to Steve Harrison regarding Flashpoint)

Hello Steve

Many thanks once again for all your time and valuable efforts in yet again getting myself, and all our members, another issue of "Flashpoint". I am sure that your paragraph, in reference to this being the last "Flashpoint"came as a shock to us all, also this could mean the collapse of the Association. I hope and with fingers crossed, this will not happen. Since joining the Association I have so many happy memories down the years from 1958--------1980. Surely somebody,within such a large membership that we have, will come forward, and save the day. If it is any help, Steve, you have my permission, if there way you could use this
e--mail as a "Fly Poster". I am sure it would be picked up and seen by quite a few, and hopefully, contact you and say "Steve I would like to carry on as your new Editor" . Sorry it cannot be me!!!. The article and continuing story "Foamlayers", went down very well. I have quite a few corrections to Colin Hall to his comments which I will leave until, if and, when we have another issue of "Flashpoint".
Once again Steve many thanks, I am sure somebody will twist your arm, and keep going with a Winter issue.
"As we we all were taught way back in in training days" : KNOCK OFF AND MAKE UP" Please, please, do not let this happen !!!

Kind regards



27 Feb 17

From: Chris Haughton

RAF Wyton Canberra Crash

Norfolk Road, Oxmoor Estate, Huntingdon

At approx. 12 - 12:15 on 3rd May 1977

Sadly, there were 5 fatalities – 3 Children and 2 Aircrew

The 3rd of May this year- 2017, will mark the 40th anniversary of this sad incident. As such the Huntingdon Town Council will be holding a Memorial Service in Norfolk Road. There will also be an unveiling of a Memorial Plaque/Bench in Norfolk Road itself.

Basic details:

Date: 3rd May 2017

Time:  12:00 (exact time to be confirmed)

I have been in touch with the Huntingdon Town Council and anyone who would like to attend are welcome to do so.

Please let me know if you wish to attend by way of E-mail or telephone and I will co-ordinate with the Council accordingly.

E-mail… scousehaughton1@gmail.com   or

Tel… 01487479369

I will publish more specific details, when I have them, closer to the time.

Thank you.

Chris Haughton



21 Feb 17

From: Ron Moultrie

Hi Jock Moultrie here(Ron). Anyone who remembers me from 1970/1985 please get in touch. If you didn't like me I'll understand.

Here's hoping

Cheers lads




27 Jan 17

From: Jamie Sutherland

I am selling challenge coins for the Memorial Fund, please go to http://www.rafanddfsa.co.uk/contacts.html#Memorial to view images and details.  I am also looking into the idea of producing DFS coins and a special edition scotch.  Please get in touch if you can help.




21 Jan 17

From: Trevor Hayes

The following  3 members have paid their subs, but they must have moved. I have no  known address for any of them, so they are not receiving Flashpoint.  

446  Brian Murphy

577 Patrick Boone

423 A Gettings

If anyone can help put me in touch please do so.

Thanks in advance

Trevor Hayes

To leave a message for the Guest Page please email your input to  webmaster@rafanddfsa.co.uk